.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

In Defense of My Existence

26 June 2005

peanut butter pie will be my downfall

I love peanut butter. It is my chocolate and my ice cream and my potato chips all in one. The Easter Bunny and Santa Clause are always dipped in a jar of Jif. A Hershey's Kiss's kiss is sweetened ever more by a dab of Skippy. A Reese's Peanut Butter Cup makes up for what it lacks by a dive into white-labeled government handouts (if you've only tried the cheese you haven't lived).

But it will be the death of me... or, at the very least, my waistline.

This evening, after dinner, Boyfriend and I will dig into our third peanut butter pie in two weeks. We love peanut butter pie. It has gone from obsession to full-blown compulsion. In case my kidneys fail or arteries explode or liver freezes, carry forth this recipe and spread the word of the Peanut Butter...

Coat the bottom and sides of 1 graham cracker pie crust (I actually used a 'Nila Wafer crust) with 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate syrup. Throw it in the 'fridge to chill.
Mix together an 8-ounce container of Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese and 1 cup of sugar (my enamel is quivering). Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 cup of peanut butter (less if preferred but that would just be silly). Fold (it is very important to fold! not mix or stir or beat. Fold!) a 12-ounce tub of Cool Whip into the peanut butter mixture. Take your time with this step; it's well worth it. Pour the filling mixture into the crust and drizzle another tablespoon or two of chocolate syrup on top. Chill until firm (about 3-4 hours); freeze if desired.

The result is extremely rich! This can be lessened by replacing the cream cheese with silken tofu and adjusting the other ingredients proportionately. Also, this recipe is easily veganized (through crust and syrup selection) or dairyfied. Regardless, if you like peanut butter and Cool Whip prepare to die happy. If you're counting calories, on the other hand, brace yourself. Here's a rough estimate per serving:


Ten servings: 505 Calories, 30g Fat, 52g Carbs, 8g Protein.
Eight servings: 632 Calories, 38g Fat, 64g Carbs, 10g Protein.

Enjoy!!


(I'll see
you at the gym!)

1 Comments:

  • That was the best damn' pie... ever! For those of you who are lactose intolerant and feel cheated by societies obsession to dairy, this is the desert for you. Dig in without the worry of running to the bathroom 30 minutes later! And yes, I DID go to the gym today!

    By Blogger girl in search of ananda, at 10:29 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home